Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie

SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling Empty
PostSubject: SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling   SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi everyone ! Whenever i try to use SPARK2 in my project , my compile and linking time drastically slows down.
if i compile my project without SPARK2 the compilation and linking takes only 3-4 seconds if i include SPARK.h the compilation takes 25-30 seconds

I use :
Latest SPARK2 from svn
Latest irrlicht (1.Cool
VS 2008

I use Dynamic libs for both irrlicht and SPARK2.

EDIT : The compile time slows down immediately if i include SPARK.h. and ruins the intellisense completely (can't update whatever i try , VS only see SPK namespace and nothing else inside the namespace like System::create())
If i use an older version of SPARK2 everything works fine.
I also noticed that the SPARK.dll is now 1.3 megs , instead of 480-500 kb...

Back to top Go down
granyte

PostSubject: Re: SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling   SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 5:09 pm

did you compile spark in debug and what version of visual studio are you using?
Back to top Go down
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling   SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 6:36 pm

I use express edition of VS 2008, and builded release versions.But thats not the problem. if i include SPARK.h in my project the whole process is slowed down.no need to add spark2 libs , the SPARK.h slows down everything.Even building the latest SPARK2 from the svn takes long long time to build and link.
Back to top Go down
Darktib
Committer
Darktib

PostSubject: Re: SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling   SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Well, there's a lot of template stuff that can slow down the compilation.

You should use the "/MP" option and a compiler that support it (VS2010 probably, not sure for 2008). What it does is enable multiprocessor compilation, which usually speed things a lot (well, if you have multiple cores, which is very likely). I also think that the last versions of VS are a bit faster at compiling templates - you should try, VS2010 normally works on XP and VS2013 is available on Windows 7.

Also, templating can increase the size of the binaries - because it has to compile different template instantiations. I still think that 1 Mb for that is a lot, I will see if I can reduce a bit the exe size (when I find time).

That said, for a small project the difference can be noticeable, but once you compile a big project SPARK does not make a huge compilation time difference.

@granyte: can you post how you succeeded to configure CMake for proper 64bit compilation ? Thanks !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling   SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SPARK2 Slow linking and compiling
Page 1 of 1